Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Island of Aranuka

First Week in Aranuka



September 8, 2014

Kam ni bene ni Mauri,

I have finally arrived at my Mission Area. Early on Tuesday morning we hoped on a plane that would take me ( and 3 others) to our mission areas. When we landed, we hopped on some bikes and rode to our small two room house. 




We live a very basic life out there and the two objects powered by electricity in the house are a fan (which brings me so much joy) and a CB radio ( which is the only way to report our stats to the zone leaders in Tarawa.)




The funny thing is we are the only 2 Imetongs on the island. The work here has been slow. Half the Island is Catholic and the other half is KPC (Kiribati Protestant Church).  Most people here refuse to hear our message in fear of the ministers.

The culture out here is funny, most people on Aranuka don't know much about America. I've had kids ask me is I have ever killed someone or fought in a war. A 50 year old woman asked us if people shot at us in the streets in America because that's what happens in Hollywood. I think its really funny. 


Aranuka translated in to English means "Our Middle" which is true it is the hottest island and rests right on the equator. there are also LOTS of mosquitoes here where I put bug spray on i just sweat it off. I counted my bites and I had 53 (mostly on my feet). The food is so good here i eat a lot and my stomach hates me for it.



Elder Davis is an extremely hard working missionary. His last companion was a good Elder from what I heard but didn't work as hard as he should have. Me and Elder Davis desired that we will follow with exact obedience. Almost 2 hours later we heard about a family that wanted to talk to us because they believed the "message of the Mormons." It was a true blessing and a sign from God. We have seen this whole week God bless us from our obedience. In the past 6 months there has only been 1 baptism and now we have 2 people with baptismal dates.

My Companion - Elder Davis

I know God loves these people and he has prepared them to here his message at this time. I know the church is true. this is gods church and his work. thank you for all the support you have given me.

Sincerely,
Elder Scott G. Johnson


P.S. Mission president has asked that no packages are sent to missionaries in Kiribati thru the Marshall Islands. the price for packages from The Marshall's has tripled so the church can't afford it. Thank you. Tiabo (good bye)


No comments:

Post a Comment