Sunday, September 14, 2014

Week Two in Aranuka


September 15, 2014

Mauri,

Its week is week 2 in Aranuka. I'm doing well and learning the
language faster then I expected. I'm already starting to learn a lot
of basic things to say but hey, its a start. A fun word I've found is
Akiakaka. There is no exact translation, the closest thing to it is "It
doesn't matter."

This morning I was drawing up water and dropped the bucket in the
well. It was fun to climb down and grab the bucket. (My companion has
that picture and I will send it next week.)

New interesting culture update; some children are raised to hate the
Mormons. The Catholics are the strongest against us. Some won't even
look at us as we ride past on our bikes. They must say really bad
stuff because there kids act out on what they say. Two days ago I had a
kid (no older then four) yell a swear word at me and try to throw a
branch into the spokes of my tire in hope of breaking my bike. It was
really surprising and sad that his parents hate us so much that their
four year old kids try to hurt us.

In happier news though our two investigators are progressing well
towards baptism and will have their interview this Tuesday. We were
worried though because they were the only people we were teaching.
But we kept praying and we got one new progressing investigator and
one possible. The Lord is providing for us.



Thank you for all the support you're showing back home. I can see that a
lot is happening at home good and bad. But I am reminded of the word
of God to Joseph Smith when he was in liberty jail; that "thou art not
yet as Job" and it was because his friends did stood by him.

Thank you for all the support that I am getting from home. I know that
even in the hardest time that my friends and my family are there for
me. Until next time I love all of you.

Sincerely,
Elder Scott G. Johnson

P.S. I think the Internets to slow right now to send pictures so I
won't (sorry).
Also you can still send packages to Tarawa but it will be 3-4 times
more expensive. You would send it to Moroni High School ( I believe) 


Moroni High School
PO Box 278
Bikenibeu, Tarawa
Republic of Kiribati
(Central Pacific)





No comments:

Post a Comment