Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Year is New and So Is The Journey




January 18, 2015

Mauri,
So after a lot of confusion and a catholic government agent thinking he can hinder the work, I finally got to Tarawa. I am working in Beiriki. I am really excited because this was the area I was at while I waited to go out to Aranuka. I was really sad to leave, but there is one thing we learn a lot from life; don't look back. I will always remember the people, but God called me here. Two things that I never thought I would dislike, I now I can say I do dislike and cold drinks and AC. I feel like the guy from the movie Castaway when he gets to civilization. Everything goes to fast. Cars going back and forth stores, you walk in to and lots of other stuff. The cold water, when I drank, it burnt my throat. Our house has AC was so cold I couldn't sleep. The cold is a scary place. Last night a got so cold before bed that I went out side and lied on the basketball court. My companion is great! His name is Elder Marselli from Kiribati. He is a really hard worker and is almost done with his time. We just "whitewashed" the area which means the last two elders left and the new Elders came in. My first day of work is tomorrow so I am excited to see what happens. I am way excited to work on Tarawa. 

I love all of you and hope everything is well back home.
Tiabo,
Elder Scott G. Johnson

January 11, 2015


Mauri Everyone,
Sorry for the wait, and if anyone thinks I was dead...stop it. This isn't that scary of a place. but the honest to goodness reason why I haven't written is because I didn't feel like it( stupid excuse right). I was feeling a little down in the dumps because of a few things. First I was reading my friend's emails and how happy they where to Skype with their families for the holidays; while for Christmas me and my companion tried for three hours to update the Skype but nothing we tried worked. Second we ran out of food. It wasn't like other side of heaven or anything we still has fish bread fruit and coconuts. but all the crackers bread and Rumen noodles where gone. And as you can imagine a missionary without instant noodles is a sad missionary. and also baptisms and transfers fell thru. I was feeling pretty down.

We then got a last Christmas present it was a stocking made by the
senior couples. It has a shirt, a can of peanut and most of all a
letter from the first presidency. I felt like it was a bit of an
encouragement. A few days later my companion got a package with
Twinkies, Ritz, Nutter butters, and other Food from America. Then we where riding to the council and saw the boat. Imagine the seen from 17 miracles when the rescue party comes and everyone is crying for joy. That was us. it seems like everything is picking up for the better. We are getting out to Tekiaing, we have 3 investigators really close to baptism and we have less actives coming to church, but as you would guess right before there dates I get transferred. That's right, this is my last week on Aranuka. I leave for Tarawa on the 16 of this month (on my 6 month mark). I loved this area and part of it will always be in my heart. I thought this day would never come and know that its here I don't know what to think. Will I tell more on my feeling next week when I'm in Tarawa with AC. 
Until then, love you all.
Tiabo Moa,
Elder Scott Johnson

January 4, 2015


This is our Branch in Aranuka




One of the staples here are Coconuts


One of my favorite thing here is Cumin or how ever you spell it. Its the kind of spice. One I put in everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment